ONE ON ONE WITH THE KALAHARI FERRARI
Finally, Mack Air gets the opportunity to have a one on one with the Kalahari The Mack Mail Media Crew had an exclusives interview with the motorist
– Please tell us more about Ross and he started off with his off-road motorbike riding?
I was born on the 6th May 1986, I grew up in a small town in the South of Botswana called Jwaneng. I started riding at the age of 4 years old and did my first race at the age of 5.
– Then the switch to flying? How old were you when this happened and what inspired it?
I loved flying from a really young age and I knew that after racing I wanted to fly airplanes. I only had my first flight in a passenger aircraft at the age of 15 and that was an amazing experience, it was a really short flight from Jwaneng to OR Tambo but I loved it.
– How long did it take you to get your Commercial license?
As I had to self fund my pilot’s license it took me a while to save money and between my busy racing calendar and trying to save money I couldn’t fly as often as I would have liked but I never gave up and 4 years after taking my first introduction flight I finally completed my commercial pilot’s license
– Did your racing career ever finance your flying career?
Yes. I started racing professionally at the age of 16 and moved to Europe to
– Mack Air mhm, when did you start working for them?
I was really lucky to get a part-time job with Mack Air in 2016. I had traveled to Maun a few times and on one of my visits I eventually got the courage to ask if Mack Air needed a part-time pilot and luckily at the time they needed extra pilots since then we have had an AMAZING relationship and I LOVE my job
– Why Mack Air?
Mack Air has always had a great relationship with their pilots and it’s not just a job it’s more of a family so when I saw how much fun the whole company is. I knew that’s where I wanted to go.
– Advantages of being a Pilot @ Mack Air?
There are so many advantages of being a pilot for Mack Air just to name my favorite part.. We get to overnight in some of the best game lodges on the planet. We get to see things that not very many people get to see. Every flight is different and unique and who wouldn’t want to fly over one of the most beautiful places in the world every day.
– Favourite aircraft in the fleet?
I love the Cessna 210 as it is really fun to fly but every time
– Favourite season to fly?
Definitely, the rainy season is my most favorite. The delta is a different world in the rainy season and is really a lot of fun to fly in and out of the strips during the rainy season.
– How does flying relate to riding?
I think the main thing is the focus you need while racing is similar to the focus you need when racing. You have to be alert at all times. The rally racing is really cool because all the navigation is the same as flying you need to follow a cap heading and distances the only difference is there are ALOT more obstacles when I’m racing.
– Have you ever got any special requests from clients to fly them?
– How has Mack Air sponsorship helped/ influenced/ impacted your life?
Mack air was my main sponsor for the 2 Dakar rallies I have raced and with out them that would not have been possible. Mack Air helped me reach my goals and follow my dreams and I will be forever grateful for what they did for me
– Confirm you are married?
Yes I am married to my childhood sweetheart Aimee Branch
– With a family of how many- kids?
No kids yet. I’m still the kid in the family, LOL!
– Confirm you are a bush pilot by profession?
My profession is racing motorcycles and my part-time job is being a bush pilot. After racing, flying will be my full-time job.
– Not kindly confirm to us if motor riding to you is a profession or a hobby?
I’m a professional athlete so I race for a living and fly because I LOVE flying
– Now with switching from racing to flying with also a family, how you juggle all of this and make it work out? LOL
(He laughs out loud) ’m very lucky to have such a supportive wife that helps me follow my dreams and I’m of the opinion that if you want something bad enough you can make it work .
– Now to the future! What are your plans? Will you be racing this year?
– Any race in your home base – Maun by any luck this year?
Yes and I can’t wait. It will be so good to have a race in Maun and so excited to race at our base
– Any thought of retiring from Aviation maybe?
I don’t think you can retire from something you love doing so definitely not any time soon
– Where do you see yourself with Mack Air in the next day maybe 5years?
I hope to be in the front left seat of a caravan doing what I love doing
– Ross thank you for your time, there are lots of kids/ youngsters out here locally inspired by you and that are interested in racing, What is your advice/ message to them?
It’s my pleasure,